From 1878 until 1956 men stood by our shores and defended our Navel base at Esquimalt just outside of downtown Victoria at Fort Rodd Hill. This is a National Historic Site that is open to the public complete with cannons, an underground magazine complex , officers quarters and batterys. Originally a link in the worldwide chain of defences for the British Empire, it grew and changed with time to deal with new technologies and threats to Canada’s west coast.
On an island, reached by a causeway from the fort is Fisgard Lighthouse which was the first lighthouse to be built on Canada’s west coast in 1860. The lighthouse was last manned in 1929 and is now a museum.
In 1909 George & Rosina Davies arrived after a 7 month sea journey from England with their two children to be the first keepers of the lighthouse. Back then, the salary for such a position ranged from $ 360 – $ 450 per year!
There are fantastic views from these sites across the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Olympic Mountains and Washington State.
Vodpod videos no longer available.